[lug] trouble locally browsing files with php3?... extensions

qqq1one @yahoo.com qqq1one at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 22:07:55 MDT 2001

I have a collection of files which have filenames
ending in "php3?..." where the "..." part is different
for each file.  These files comprise a FAQ that I
downloaded using wget because it is not available as a
tarball.  My browser doesn't seem to like the question
marks in the filenames.

When I go to load a page of my local copy into my
browser, it says it can't find the file.  But it turns
out that the browser is dropping the part of the
filename after the ".php3" part (i.e. from the
question mark on), so no wonder it can't find the
files.

I suspect there is something about having a question
mark in the filename that throws my browser off.  All
I really want to be able to do is manually specify the
location of the first page on my hard drive and then
be able to navigate through the FAQ on my local disk
by just clicking on the links.

I know I could just rename the files to not have the
question mark in them, but I suspect that would break
all the links in each file.

Any suggestions?

Is there an easy way to take a single character out of
a whole bunch of filenames?