[lug] trouble locally browsing files with php3?... extensions

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Sep 21 02:22:40 MDT 2001

"qqq1one @yahoo.com" wrote:

> I have a collection of files which have filenames
> ending in "php3?..." where the "..." part is different
> for each file.  These files comprise a FAQ that I
> downloaded using wget because it is not available as a
> tarball.  My browser doesn't seem to like the question
> marks in the filenames.

I suspect you didn't save the web page, but instead saved the php
program. The question mark is the argument passed to the php program.
But try quoting...renaming it...as example, pretend the name is
php3?abc:
mv "php3?abc" abc.html

There is a good chance you didn't download the web content, but a binary
file instead, that won't make much sense.

> When I go to load a page of my local copy into my
> browser, it says it can't find the file.  But it turns
> out that the browser is dropping the part of the
> filename after the ".php3" part (i.e. from the
> question mark on), so no wonder it can't find the
> files.

It thinks the parts after the "?" are arguments, and the "?" itself is a
marker of separation between program and argument.

> I suspect there is something about having a question
> mark in the filename that throws my browser off.  All
> I really want to be able to do is manually specify the
> location of the first page on my hard drive and then
> be able to navigate through the FAQ on my local disk
> by just clicking on the links.
>
> I know I could just rename the files to not have the
> question mark in them, but I suspect that would break
> all the links in each file.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you downloaded a php3 program and don't run it with a php capable web
server, it is probably broken anyway...it's active content, not a static
page.

> Is there an easy way to take a single character out of
> a whole bunch of filenames?

The "rename" command does this.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com