[lug] Netscape Crash Trace

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Sep 25 18:54:39 MDT 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, D. Stimits said:

> The brk function is for kernel side memory allocation. So it probably
> died trying to allocate memory. I'm curious how much ram this system
> has, and whether it uses HIMEM patches? Btw, the Linux version of NS
> does generate Bus error on good hardware at times.

I remember having this problem with early Linux NS versions - like early
3.x.  In those days there was some kind of conflict with the gcc shared
libraries, as I recall.  Although I don't tend to leave the browser up for
periods of time longer than about two hours, at times I have up to 10 or
so instances of NS going (version 4.76).  It's been pretty stable for my
purposes - I don't remember the last time I had it crash on me or give me
a bus error.

Perhaps it is related to the library versions in your distro?

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net