[lug] ssh and Konqueror

David dajo at frii.com
Tue Oct 2 18:25:48 MDT 2001

> ssh -L 80:localhost:<portnumber> <webserver>
>
> Then with your local browser, open http://localhost

> to ssh tunnel say localhost port 8080 foo.bar.com port 80 you would...
>
> ssh -L8080:foo.bar.com:80 username at foo.bar.com for example.  i'm not sure if this is entirely necessary though.

How interesting!  You guys are good.

ssh  -L 80:<remotemachine>:<remoteport>  me@<remotemachine>
and
http://localhost/ in the browser did indeed work - to a point.

The point was the homepage of the website.  However, I was unable to go
beyond the hoempage.  Thus, mousing over a selection gave me an address
http://<remotemachine>:<remoteport>/Selection, clicking on that gave
me a "could not connect to host <remotemachine> (port <remoteport>)"
message, which you might expect.  But I got the same result by using
http://localhost/Selection.

I needed to be root to make the connection; I was able to login as myself;
and I tried the browser both as root and myself, with the same result.

Any other ideas?

Why do I need to use port 80 at my end?

dajo