[lug] 10-minute demos

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Oct 7 13:34:33 MDT 2001

Gus Huber wrote:

> My concern is recruiters telling me I need 10 years of experience simply
> administering a product that I have been writing patches and modules for
> other employers for the last 5 years.  Apache as a side note has only
> been in existance since late 1995, when it grew out of the NCSA server
> project as A-PATCHY version of NCSA which eventualy gained market
> dominance.  My question is how to convey to these recruiters he
> monumental differences between actualy modifying the functional workings
> of apache vs. simply setting up webservers (which is what they are
> looking for most of the time).  I am getting fed up with the lack of
> intelligence in the human resources sector here in colorado.  It is
> enough to make me move on to a more economicly viable region of the
> country.

I might have to give up computer related fields entirely, nobody even
returns a rejection letter (but I'm a damn good programmer, I *like*
programming, especially on Linux).

What would be nice is if BLUG could make a presentation to the
recruiters, to educate them, on what they are doing wrong. They
obviously feel they aren't getting qualified people, so they tighten
standards, but they are tightening apples when what failed was oranges.
The recruiters have no idea what they are doing, and what they are
passing by. I would love a chance to do a reverse lecture for
recruiters, where they present their ideas, and we critique it, live.
The human resources people could kill an industry all by themselves.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com