[lug] Using Samba to connect to Windows ME

rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu
Sun Oct 7 14:14:26 MDT 2001

I am trying to setup Samba under Linux to serve files for a network of
Windows ME boxes (it's not my fault...).  I am doing all this remotely so
I don't have access to any of the machines except for the Linux box via
ssh.

I have done the following:

root at www:~# smbclient -L BUBBA -U bubba
added interface ip=192.168.1.9 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:

	Sharename      Type      Comment
	---------      ----      -------
	PRINTER2       Printer
	PRINTER$       Disk
	PRINTER        Printer
	MYDOCUMENTS    Disk
	IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	BUBBA                Unknown User
	WWW                  Samba Server

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
        BROWN                BUBBA

When I enter the password at the prompt it is accepted just fine.  But
when I try to connect to the share I get this:

root at www:~# smbclient //bubba/MYDOCUMENTS  -U bubba
added interface ip=192.168.1.9 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

I have tried both encrypted and unencrypted passwords in /etc/smb.conf and
security is set to user.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot,

Rob Judd