[lug] linuxconf and sendmail config

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Mon Oct 8 08:20:26 MDT 2001

> D. Stimits wrote:
>
> Scott Herod wrote:
> >
> > I just learned that it was possible to relay mail through
> > my sendmail daemon despite my telling linuxconf that there
> > were no valid relay hosts and clients.  This is with
> > sendmail 8.9.3 which should not do relay by default.  I'm
> > now trying to configure sendmail using sendmail.mc and
> > the m4 configuration tool.  Some links that I've discovered
> > are:
> >
> > http://ordb.org/faq/#how_to_close
> >
> > http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti-spam.html
> >
> > Can someone suggest a link to a site that will test you
> > without blacklisting you if you fail ( like ordb.org does )?
> >

> Did you ever find a site that can test? I'm also curious how you tested
> originally, or if it was just an article mentioning the possibility. I,
> for one, have my sendmail's port closed to all outside sources, but I'd
> still like to double-check it.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

It seems that the best site for testing is http://orbz.org/ .
I think that they do still black-list you if you fail but
they also check other blacklisting sites so that if you get
on multiple lists you can find out without having to wait for
bounce messages.

The way I found out was to get caught.  I'm annoyed that linuxconf
continued to tell me that I had no valid relay clients.  I also
checked to see whether the box had been compromised but could find
no evidence of that.  ( I'm gad that linuxconf is now gone.  Broken
sysadmin tools are worse than no tools. )

( Now if only I could find plumbing parts that even McGuckin's doesn't
carry.)

Scott