[lug] OT: HP Netserver LCII and Dual Processors...

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Mon Oct 8 06:58:58 MDT 2001

	This is a bit off topic from Linux, but I am hoping there is
someone on this list with HP Netserver experience that can help me.
	I bought an LCII Netserver used, and it came with a single 333MHz
PII processor, stepping 01. It also has a slot for a second PII processor,
after after some research I located the necessary VRM for the system and
another processor. According to documentation on Intel's site, running a
dual processor system with mixed steppings of PII processors was
supported. Therefore, I did not worry much about the processor I bought,
and ended up with a 02 stepping.
	After installing the second processor, the system boots up and
runs Linux (see, its not that off topic :) fine. I can compile a kernel
(with -j3) w/o a problem. The problem is the BIOS is unhappy with the
second processor. On boot up it give an error "Missing Microcode Update
data block for Pentium II CPU", and then waits for user input.
	I got the Navigator (firmware) CDs for this system and ran their
diagnostic tools (which found no problems) and their BIOS updater. Still
had the same problem as above. I downloaded the BIOS update off of HP's
website for this machine, loaded that, and still the same problem. I
removed the original processor and moved the new processor to the first
slot (and reinserted the terminator in the second slot). With just the new
processor, I still get the same error.
	My conclusion is that this machine will not support 02 stepping
processors. So, does any one have any ideas on how I can install this
missing microcode update data block, or even how to disable that error (so
it doesn't halt the boot process)? Or am I stuck in finding a stepping 01
processor instead? Thanks for you help.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |