[lug] Sean's geek travels.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Oct 9 09:58:22 MDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 08:23:05AM -0600, Matt Clauson wrote:
>Does CDPD cost by the (bit/byte/block/minute) or is it flat rate?

Flat rate.  It's VERY slow though.  2.2KB/sec.  VoiceStream has announced
something that's nearly 200KB/sec and has pretty good coverage, but it's $4
per megabyte.

>Garmin ETREX Summit (I think -- it's sitting down in the Exploder and
>I'm too lazy to go down and take a look at it -- it's handheld, with a
>translucent blue case -- I call it the iGPS) has serial out, as do all

Look at the GPSdrive software.  Kevin is using it and it works pretty well
for giving you a map and stuff.

>Hope you can copy code at decent rates in your head.  5 words just
>won't cut it, and it's so darned slow that you almost have to write
>down what you're recieving.

Well, I figure that for feedback on what I'm typing 20mpw would probably be
fine as a checking thing.  I've long wanted to have something that would
give me morse feedback on what I'm typing at 20WPM in morse, and figure
that would be an easy way to getting familiar with morse at a fairly high
rate.

I don't really need to "copy" it when I'm typing it...  I just need to know
that when I type an 'a' it sounds right and not like an 's'...

>Speaking of cool ham-radio oriented stuff, you might want to check out
>the Internet Repeater Linking Project at http://www.irlp.net/ -- it's
>really cool, running real-time VoIP using ham radio repeaters.

Interesting...  And I didn't even bring a radio with me...  What WAS I
thinking?

Sean
--
 Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.