[lug] red hat dialer

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Oct 10 15:23:19 MDT 2001

dan radom wrote:

> when i want to kill wvdial i just do a ctrl + c in that xterm where it's running.  it shuts doen wvdial, ppp and closes teh xterm for me.

I'm doing this as a background process, with no controlling terminal.
E.G., equivalent to "sudo wvdial &", then killing the xterm completely,
maybe even logging out, and later coming back to it. It seems that with
sudo giving permission to kill wvdial, it still does not give permission
for the kill of wvdial to propagate to pppd...the child process death
seems to also require root privileges, a single sudo looks insufficient
for the chain of events.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com