[lug] Wireless lan on KRUD?

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Thu Oct 11 12:41:42 MDT 2001

On Thursday 11 October 2001 10:59, you wrote:

> Elyse> I'm now setting up Linux at work (yay).  Our training lab will
> Elyse> contain 11 Dell 2500 laptops dual-booting KRUD and Win2K. We're
> Elyse> using Linksys PCMCIA wireless cards.
>
> cool. ;)
>
> Wireless is great.
>
> Elyse> I have grabbed the source for the WLAN drivers (and the
> Elyse> pcmcia-cs source) from the web, but I'm seeing some odd
> Elyse> symptoms when I try to do the 'make'.
>
> which WLAN drivers? WLAN-ng?
>
> Elyse> (Very frustrating after setting up to build the ALSA sound
> Elyse> drivers went so smoothly yesterday.)
>
> Elyse> Has anyone built the WLAN drivers successfully against a recent
> Elyse> version of RedHat or KRUD?
>
> Well, first of all, the cards should just work fine with the stock
> kernel and pcmcia installed. ;) (unless you have a really old version
> of krud).
>
> If for some reason you have upgraded the kernel, they should work fine
> with the in kernel pcmcia wireless with one tweak:
>
> You have to find the entry for your cards in /etc/pcmcia/config and
> change the driver to use the 'orinoco_cs.o' driver instead of the
> 'wlan_cs' driver. Or at least I have to do that with my orinoco
> cards...
>
> I had nothing but grief using the wlan-ng drivers. They are old and
> buggy and nasty. ;) The in-kernel ones work great.
>
> Elyse> Thanks
>
> kevin
Yes, it was the wlan_ng drivers. One file failed to build with the following
errors:

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -D__LINUX_WLAN__
-D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE=1 -I../include -I/usr/src/linux/include   -c -o
p80211req.o
p80211req.c
In file included from p80211req.c:82:
../include/wlan/p80211netdev.h:77: warning: useless keyword or type name in
empty declaration
../include/wlan/p80211netdev.h:77: two types specified in one empty
declaration
make[2]: *** [p80211req.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-wlan-ng-0.1.10/src/p80211'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-wlan-ng-0.1.10/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I looked at the source briefly, but my C skills are pretty rusty.

I'll try the other drivers you recommend.

Thanks

Elyse