[lug] Sean's geek travels.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Oct 15 01:07:53 MDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 12:59:06AM -0600, Chris Riddoch wrote:
>Very cool! Why, if I had a car...

I broke down last week and got a GPS too.  I set things up with gpsdrive so
that Evelyn and Kevin can watch me drive around using a map displayed on
thheir computers, similar to the display I have in my van.  That was fun.

>Seems to be http://www.shagginwagen.com/

Yeah, I seem to be having a weird problem where sometimes the 'g' key gets
really sensitive to auto-repeat...  Weird.

>I'd suggest looking into some speech recognition as well. A few
>well-placed microphones can pick up the background noise in the car,

Yeah, maybe...  I'm not sure about speech recognition thuogh.  My van is
pretty damn noisy on the highway.  So loud I often can't hear my phone
ringing...

I was planning to use festival to produce speech output, but haven't really
had the need to yet.  So much to do...

>remapped to the right-handed Dvorak layout
>(http://home1.gte.net/bharrell/kbdtxt.htm).

Yeah, I really should try that.  I snagged a copy of the map, I want to see
what I can do with that...  I haven't been driving that much long-distance
these days though.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Examine what is said, not who speaks.  (Arabian Proverb)