[lug] telnetd problem

Chris Wade cwade at veripost.net
Mon Oct 15 08:03:47 MDT 2001

> It seems that the firewalled end works, but local doesn't, so I doubt
> even more that it is an auth problem...unless the firewall allows 113
> but your local net doesn't. Wish I had more to suggest. You
> can turn up
> debugging levels on most ssh clients though.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Thanks for the help.  The funny thing is that I can run vncserver on the
linux, and access my desktop from the laptop, at home and it looks even
better than the video display I have coming out of the linux box.  So I get
into a shell from there and I'm fine.  When I try this at work, it's slow,
since it has to pass through the cable modem going out (greatly reduced
bandwidth) but at home it just screams.  So could the telnet problem have to
do with the fact that both are behind the cable modem?  I had assumed that
telnetting to my machine's IP address would mean that it would go out
through the cable modem and then back in to the other box, but I know little
about such things... If it's connecting directly through the hub would it
make a difference?

Cheers,

Chris
                                      Linux