[lug] telnetd problem

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Oct 15 12:43:14 MDT 2001

Chris Wade wrote:

> > It seems that the firewalled end works, but local doesn't, so I doubt
> > even more that it is an auth problem...unless the firewall allows 113
> > but your local net doesn't. Wish I had more to suggest. You
> > can turn up
> > debugging levels on most ssh clients though.
> >
> > D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com
>
> Thanks for the help.  The funny thing is that I can run vncserver on the
> linux, and access my desktop from the laptop, at home and it looks even
> better than the video display I have coming out of the linux box.  So I get
> into a shell from there and I'm fine.  When I try this at work, it's slow,
> since it has to pass through the cable modem going out (greatly reduced
> bandwidth) but at home it just screams.  So could the telnet problem have to
> do with the fact that both are behind the cable modem?  I had assumed that
> telnetting to my machine's IP address would mean that it would go out
> through the cable modem and then back in to the other box, but I know little
> about such things... If it's connecting directly through the hub would it
> make a difference?

For speed alone, it is probably a bad idea to use the local net to go to
the Internet then back again. But, if you want to know, just run
traceroute. It would be a bad idea to go through the cable modem if you
don't have to, but I don't know how that would help or hurt vnc or ssh,
unless the hub or modem do firewalling. As to the route that is taken
(once you run traceroute to find out for sure), you can modify it on
Linux side by adding an alias for particular host names in /etc/hosts.
If you give your linux machine dual ip address, one that is internally
routed only, and one that is the static Internet IP, you'd have the best
of both worlds. But don't ask me about multihoming the linux box (dual
IP is multihoming), I haven't done this before (it should be simple if
you have separate ethernet interfaces and have the hardware working,
though a single NIC should be able to be bound to two IP's...famous last
words "should be easy").

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com