[lug] KRUD initrd.img boot failure

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Tue Oct 16 06:23:45 MDT 2001

Sean,

Thanks for the note. Marginal hardware is definitely a possibility. This is
an old Micron Millenium Mme 200 box with some kind of stock Hitachi CDR drive
and a recent mobo (Asus A7V) transplant. However, I can boot Mandrake 7.2 CD
just fine and get as far as the challenge for the license (pretty deep into
graphical install).

I also tried booting DOS and then using autoboot but that failed too, "Abort,
Retry, Fail' after 3 rows of dots in initrd.img.

I'm not dead-set on installing from CD and I have some free HDD space to play
with, so if there is another alternative here, I'd be happy with that. What
I'm trying to do is replace my Mdk7.2 system with KRUD. After that I can just
do upgrades from KRUD so the hardware wierdness may not matter.

Can I copy the whole thing onto a HDD partition somewhere and boot the
installer from LILO? What do the LILO lines look like?

Can I run the installer some other way, like from a shell, and get the
upgrade started?

Maybe I can do all this with RPM. I'd like to be able to call this a 'fresh'
install for purposes of things like tripwire.

TIA,
  Mike

--

Michael Deck