[lug] Searching Mailman Archives

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Oct 16 14:00:38 MDT 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> That's going to require some trickery...  You'll obiously need to set up
> the search page to require authentication.  You can probably get away with
> setting up a "virtual" in your apache config that allows localhost access
> to the pipermail private archives in such a way that it looks like they're
> going through mailman.  Or, simply expose that heirarchy so that localhost
> is allowed without authentication, but others have to be listed in an
> htpasswd file.

Yeah, I'll have to give this some more thought.

> I hear that mnoGoSearch is a good tool, but I haven't used it yet.  The
> BLUG archives are in htdig.

Yes, you got me started with htdig through the BLUG archives.  I've since
set this up on the Rocky Mountain Photographer's web site, and ITS is now
using htdig for their search engine too.  I had recommended that they
(ITS) look at mnoGoSearch since you had suggested it a while back.  Of
course that ended up meaning me.  I tinkered with mnoGoSearch one
afternoon, and it looked like it wasn't completely standalone.  It appears
that mnoGoSearch is a front-end for a database that you have to setup
first.  The default appears to be postgress.

I figured that since I already had postgress installed that setting up
mnoGoSearch would be simple.  However, my quick run at this generated
several errors and I didn't have time to work through them.  So
... although mnoGoSearch looks pretty good, it looks like it may take more
tweaking than htdig to get it working correctly.  Of course, you'd need to
factor in the familiarity coefficient too.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)