[lug] DNS problems

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Tue Oct 16 18:30:05 MDT 2001

> Both LANs were using the 192.168.1.* private subnet IP range until yesterday.
> I am in the process of changing my home network to a different subnet to make
> things less confusing. (anyone know how to change the subnet of a LinkSys
> 3-port printserver? the setup tools insist that the printserver and the pc
> setting it up have to be on the same subnet, which makes it hard to move it.)

Start out with the laptop on the same subnet, change the linksys (I'm not
horribly fond of their products) to the new subnet (at which point the
laptop will lose connectivity to it).  Change the laptop to the new subnet
and all "should be" happy.

> Using the nameservers and DHCP settings it receives at work, my laptop is
> able to contact the general internet (or you would not be reading this...)
> The windows machines on the lan are able to see my samba server, by name and
> ip address.

Sounds like they may not be running dns but rather wins/NetBIOS for their
name resolution.  If so, you are stuck using your /etc/hosts or trying to
convince the admin that internal dns is a good thing.

> Also, Is there a samba command that will list the available shares on remote
> machine? I'm drowning in documentation and developing mental blocks.

smbclient -U% -L <remote host>

will list the shares that are available to one and all.

man smbclient to get more details.