[lug] Unable to cleanly reboot

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Thu Oct 18 15:49:20 MDT 2001

On Thursday 18 October 2001 04:06 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
> > Michael Deck wrote:
> > > Help! I'm unable to reboot my Linux box without a hard reset (and fsck
> > > all drives).
>
> I have been reading all the threads on this. I am not as proficient at
> Linux as I would like, but I have a few questions.
>
> I have found that when a box hangs on init 6 that a few things can cause
> this:
> 1. Have you checked any error logs that might help you understand?
> 2. If you are constantly having to fsck (normal on a hard shutdown) have
> you seen any read/write errors on your disks? I have seen a box hang on a
> reboot when the kernel cannot stat/poll the devices. I have seen odd
> behavior on a box with bad disk.

How would I detect this? We're dealing with a 40G drive that has been working
reliably for several months, but when I install a new OS it starts to throw
errors? Possible, but I'm suspicious.

> 3. I realize that many people are looking at iterrupt contention on the
> cpu, but have you noticed anything similar before you decided on the
> change?

Nothing I regret more than deciding to change. Two days of zero billable
hours and I'm still not up and running.

> 4. Are there any 'patch-related' issues on a support site that you
> may have to take into consideration to make this work?

I've been searching Google, RedHat, etc. but am striking out.

> 5. You could indeed have bad media.

Yes, that's true but why would two sets of disks both be the same bad?

> 6. I get the impression that the problem with the reboot happened AFTER the
> change, but have you seen it before?

No, but as I say it was a pretty big change...