[lug] Unable to cleanly reboot

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Thu Oct 18 16:06:12 MDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> Michael Deck wrote:
> >
> > Help! I'm unable to reboot my Linux box without a hard reset (and fsck all
> > drives).

I have been reading all the threads on this. I am not as proficient at Linux
as I would like, but I have a few questions.

I have found that when a box hangs on init 6 that a few things can cause
this:
1. Have you checked any error logs that might help you understand?
2. If you are constantly having to fsck (normal on a hard shutdown) have
you seen any read/write errors on your disks? I have seen a box hang on a
reboot when the kernel cannot stat/poll the devices. I have seen odd
behavior on a box with bad disk.
3. I realize that many people are looking at iterrupt contention on the cpu,
but have you noticed anything similar before you decided on the change?
4. Are there any 'patch-related' issues on a support site that you may
have to take into consideration to make this work?
5. You could indeed have bad media.
6. I get the impression that the problem with the reboot happened AFTER the
change, but have you seen it before?

Sorry. Not much help without being hands-on.

Good luck,

Bill