[lug] RedHat 7.1 Water Torture and SWAP size

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 19 10:48:44 MDT 2001

Nate, for the HD access annoyance, I would try incrementally stopping
processes until the drive access stops.  In essence, use a process of
elimination routine, for example.

1) Stop KDE/Gnome
2) Go down to run-level 2
3) Go down to run-level 1

You can use 'lsof' to see which files remain open, and what processes
they are associated with.

As far as the swap issue, you should be able to create a small
temporary swapfile on an existing partition, see mkswap(8), active it
with 'swapon [swapfile]', next 'swapoff /dev/hd??', then resize the
swap partition with fdisk or whatever.  If your swap partition is not
the last on the disk (outside cylinders), then there's a good chance
this process will leave a "gap" in your disk where another filesystem
may be created, but it may be too small to be useful.  You may want to
consider just using the entire partition for a new filesystem and
sticking with the "swapfile on a filesystem" paradigm; to make it
permanent, add it to /etc/fstab.

-John

Nate W wrote:

> My hard drive runs something about every 15 seconds ALL the time and it's
> driving me completely nuts.  I recently upgraded from 7.0 on my Dell Inspiron
> 7500 - the system didn't have this problem previously.
>
> I'd appreciate all ideas on what is causing it, if it's Really Important or not
> and how to stop/reschedule whatever it is.
>
> Also, I made my SWAP file too big and need some of the space back - how to I go
> about resizing it without reinstalling?
>
> Thanx!
>

> =====
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |