[lug] man pages RH 7.2

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Oct 24 17:42:39 MDT 2001

Gary Hodges wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
>
> > Gary Hodges wrote:

> > > The result of manpath is /usr/man .  When I look in /usr/man that are two
> > > directories (man1 and man3) that each contain man pages of apps I have loaded
> > > since the initial install.  All the man pages are located /usr/share/man .
> > > Should I move the contents of the /usr/man pages to /usr/share/man and then
> > > create links to /usr/share/man , or maybe it would just be easier to change
> > > my manpath.
> >
> > The /usr/share/ stuff is the "modern" accepted directory, or
> > /usr/local/share/, for a lot of things. Add extra directories beyond
> > what you now have by editing /etc/man.config. I recommend making sure it
> > searches (as a minimum):
> > /usr/share/man
> > /usr/local/man
> > /usr/X11R6/man
> > /usr/man
> > /usr/lib/perl5/man
> > (possibly /usr/local/share/man)
>
> Hmmm.  The following is already in my man.config file:
>
> MANPATH /usr/share/man
> MANPATH /usr/X11R6/man
> MANPATH /usr/local/man
> MANPATH /usr/kerberos/man
> MANPATH /usr/lib/perl5/man
> MANPATH /usr/man

Is the file /etc/man.config readable by all users? See if a regular user
can "cat /etc/man.config". If it can, you might need to run man with
"strace -oman.log man whatever", then view man.log. Most of the time you
see a series of default paths and files being checked, often they don't
exist and this is expected. But near the end, you'll see some failure
that is not expected.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com