[lug] The art of listening

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Oct 25 09:51:30 MDT 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> In reality, it's probably a relief to the politicians to not have to
> listen for a while. Then again, Senator Hollings would have never
> proposed this ridiculous crap if he listened to people.

Ahem ... one needs to be careful with this sort of diatribe.  It may be
that these people are listening, just not specifically to you.  No I'm
not supporting Senator Hollings on this, but like it or not he knows how
to play.

Let's move this out of this politically charged arena.  Here is a very
similar issue

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/23/2340248&mode=nocomment

that also deals with the political and marketing proficiency of the Linux
community.  It is really the same game, just different
players.  Interpersonal relationships and the ability to listen and say
the right things (a.k.a. politics) is the name of the game in either case.

Calling something "ridiculous crap" usually isn't how you get the ear of
the people you are trying to influence.  (I speak from experience here
<wink>.)

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)