[lug] Best places to buy hardware for linux?

Ed ed at telesto-eng.com
Fri Oct 26 08:01:20 MDT 2001

    C> Can anyone tell me some places in Boulder to buy
    C> linux-compatible hardware (i.e., something that has been
    C> tested, the people there know it works with particular
    C> versions/distros)...

    C> When I buy hardware, I'm generally looking for stuff that I can
    C> plug in, it works, I don't have to think about it.  Getting
    C> tired of the endless buy/return cycle at Compusa.  I know about
    C> PCBrokers but they are never open when I can get to them, or I
    C> would give them more business.  Any ideas?

    C> Thanks,

    C> Chris _______________________________________________ Web Page:

You are still walking into a store to buy your hadware? How 20th
century of you!

The best way to buy hardware (and software) is
www.computershopper.com. There you can search by category, see the
competing products in the same class of product, and read
reviews. Finally, it will give you a long list of on-line vendors, and
their prices. You pick the lowest price, click the "Buy Now" button,
and voila, in 5 minutes you are done.

CompUSA is a really useful store if aliens invade and destroy the web
and you really need a mousepad. Otherwise, stay out of that place.

I (foolishly) almost bought a computer there once. But their check-out
guy screwed up so much and made so many mistakes that I ran out of
time and had to leave. That night I bought a better system for $500
less on-line. It was delivered right to my door in two days.

Ed Hartnett
--
Telesto Consulting - www.telestoconsulting.com - UNIX/Embedded programming consultants.