[lug] IDSL Service in the Boulder Area...

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Oct 29 10:02:58 MST 2001

I currently have Covad IDSL via the company formerly known as Micron.net,
then Hostpro, and now (I think) InterLand. I am not extremely unhappy but I
wish I could do better. The TCI trucks have been in the neighborhood
recently and they say that ATT Broadband will be available end of year.
Fingers crossed, I suppose.

I switched to this IDSL last December after 3 years of Qwest ISDN. Cost is
much less, and the service is somewhat better. In both cases there are
nasty outages up to 2 days. In the IDSL case, there have also been several
periods of poor service (30% packet loss) that eventually gets cleared up
as they tinker with the lines. Our neighborhood has particularly bad
copper, as I understand it. Right now, for example, I am using my backup
dialup connection for email because I'm in one of those periods. I am told
that Covad pushes the envelope a little more. So, where Qwest refused to
serve me, Covad will but I live with these interruptions. Latency of my
IDSL is much worse than my ISDN but throughput is better. I had 1/2 ISDN
(64K) only.

I run a Linux firewall/router and a heterogenous network behind its NAT. So
I haven't asked for multiple IPs, I just ipforward into the appropriate box
based on port. I do run an Apache server. I had the ISP put my hostnames
(www., mail., etc) on their DNS rather than having to maintain my own DNS
because I wasn't having fun doing that. The terminal adapter came with my
deal and it is set up as a bridge.

I'd be happy to answer more specific questions offline.

-Mike