[lug] IDSL Service in the Boulder Area...

Dan Oglesby danno at colorado-research.com
Mon Oct 29 09:29:50 MST 2001

Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> 	I am going to be moving soon to an area where IDSL is the only
> broadband service available, and wanted to get peoples experience with
> this service. The location is 16800ft from the CO, so normal DSL is out of
> the question, and while it does have Cable TV, cable Internet access is
> not yet available. That pretty much leaves IDSL as my only choice (short
> of dialup of course) [0].
> 	My needs for an Internet connection do not require a large amount
> of bandwidth (144kbs is ample for email servers and low traffic websites),
> but do require the following: Static IPs (at least 6 usable) and the
> ability to run servers. It would be even better if the ISP did not require
> me to buy their IDSL router [1]. Also, I don't have a problem with paying
> for a business class connection in order to attain these requirements.
> 	Therefore, has anyone had any experience with IDSL and if you
> have, would you please share what your experience has been. Are there any
> ISPs (or carriers) that I should stay away from? Is there an ISP that you
> would recommend that can meet my above requirements? Thanks in advance!
> TTYL.
>

> [0] Even Sprint Broadband is not possible as they have stopped taking
> customers for now. They have maxed out their equipment apparently.
>
> [1] Where their cost is ~$350 and I can get one off of eBay (Flowpoints or
> 3Coms) for $30. I have had experience with Flowpoint routers, so I don't
> mind configuring it myself either. As for warranty on the new router, for
> only $60 I could buy two off of eBay and have one in reserve.

I had ISDN service with Qwest up until they brought DSL into my area.
Didn't have any problems with the service.  They also don't require you to
buy their equipment (or didn't when I signed up for ISDN in May).  I used a
Cisco 776M ISDN router, which you can find for about $50 - $75 on eBay.

I know ISDN isn't IDSL, but I thought I'd throw that out anyways...  I'd
rather have the capability of two extra digital phone lines than an extra
14K of bandwidth.

Qwest has pretty good business packages if you're looking for static IPs.
They even have a really nice web interface so you can configure your reverse
DNS entries fot the static IPs, even if you don't host your forward DNS with
them.  You get six useable IPs, but one has to be used for the router.

My experiences with Qwest have been good.  I know people who haven't had
good experiences with Qwest.  Mileage will definately vary, depending on who
you talk to.

--Danno