[lug] Article Link - a twist I had not considered...

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Wed Oct 31 10:05:29 MST 2001

I'm terribly concerned with this quote:

"At Microsoft Corp., doubts go beyond IBM to Linux itself. Doug Miller,
director of competitive strategy for the software giant, says he thinks
Linux isn't a long-term bet for the data center. "I just don't see it taking
over the world," he says. "

WHY does an OS _need_ to take over the world?  What's wrong with diversity?
Use what does the job best.  We run our multi-hundred-thousand email per day
SMTP gateways on Linux, because NT just can't handle it (we found this out
the hard way.)  But we still choose to run Exchange on the front-end, simply
because it truly kicks ass.  What is so wrong with this?  Why do we have to
be all or nothing?

I believe this type of thinking is one of the largest hurtles for the IT
community to get over in order to start adopting Linux at a larger scale.
Don't get me wrong, we need standards, but that doesn't mean that we have to
pigeon hole ourselves into one system.