[lug] SSH

rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu rjudd at mlug.missouri.edu
Thu Nov 1 07:44:37 MST 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Kyle Moore wrote:

> I am starting to use ssh/scp/sftp to communicate with other companies to
> transfer files. Sort of a B2B thing if you will. I'm running HP-UX and
> Linux. I'm wondering if I should stick with OpenSSH or, for compatability
> reasons, should switch to the commercial version. I haven't had any
> problems yet but don't want to run in to any down the road after things
> are established. It takes forever to get changes made when you are dealing
> with mainframe shops...and if they are financial companies and use
> mainframes it is even worse.

There is a problem with compatibility between (at least) OpenSSH 2.9.9 and
Commercial SSH Secure Shell 2.4.0:  public key (both RSA and DSA)
authentication between them does not work for protocol 2.  RSA
authentication will work between them for protocol 1, but there are
several problems with doing that ...

Cheers, Rob