[lug] Redhat doesn't support users that compile their own kernels.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Nov 3 09:38:45 MST 2001

See inline...

Jeff wrote:
> > It is a mistake to think the kernel is involved. There is a badly
> > misunderstood point here: *ALL* kernels, when they have iptables module
> > loaded, will NOT load ipchains. They are mutually exclusive. The bash
> > scripts seem to fail to check return values. If ipchains module is
>
> Mr. Stimits is right on this part.  I understand both sides.  One
> *cannot* load ipchains if the iptables modules is loaded.  Period.  One
> possible fix, albeit ugly, is to edit the appropriate init script and
> replace the section that load iptables and load ipchains.  Ugly, but it
> works.  Another suggestion that I've seen here is to write a fix
> independantly.

He not complaining about the kernel's behaviour, he's complaining about
the startup/shutdown scripts that attempt to load ipchains rules not
CHECKING THEIR RETURN CODES.  In addition, I'd add... shouldn't there be
some way for that script to check for the presence of ipchains in the
kernel via /proc somehow?  Why didn't anyone READ his original post?