[lug] working with scp and older ssh

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 23 00:50:46 MST 2001

rotering at animalcules.com wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 11:51:16PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> [Attempts to pass ssh options to scp using -o isn't working.]
>
> >From your example of attempting to force the use of protocol 2 I get
> the idea that you may not be passing the options properly.
>
> According to the man page for scp, the -o option expects ssh options
> *as they appear in the ssh configuration file.* That means that,
> rather than passing -2, you want to do something like -oProtocol=2.
>
> Or am I stepping in it again?

It seemed like a good idea, and it also no longer gives me the error
about invalid option...it cleared that part up. Unfortunately, it seems
my chosen options still don't work. Now since my regular ssh command
uses version 2, and this works, I assume protocol 2 should be good for
scp using ssh (scp is just a client that uses ssh). I still get the
problem listed:
  scp: warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
  scp: FATAL: Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed \
       (Check that scp1 is in your PATH).

I tried with -oprotocol=2, -oProtocol=2, -o Protocol=2, and -o
protocol=2. I'm a bit puzzled why it wants this silly scp1 compatibility
since I *know* version 2 ssh works, not 1, and I've supposedly forced
protocol 2. Something very simple has to be getting in the way.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com