[lug] good amd motherboards for linux RH 71.

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Thu Nov 29 11:01:30 MST 2001

Lana,

I'm running KRUD7.1 on an ASUS A7V133 using an 800mhz Athlon. I can report
two issues with it. First, as far as I can tell the onboard sound processor
is not supported by this kernel or, at least, I was told this was the case.
So if you want sound you'll need a separate sound card. I don't have one so
I can't say if that fixes the problem. Also, the chipset fan is a
particularly cheap sleeve fan which (in my case) grinds horribly unless I
drop 3-in-1 oil on it at regular intervals. I'm told it's easy to replace
this fan but I can't figure out mechanically how to remove it.

Finally, I got this particular MOBO because I wanted to use UltraDMA. But I
haven't figured out how to make it work in that mode. There's probably some
BIOS setting. I do have one drive that can operate Ultra though my other
drives can't, so maybe that's it.

I'd be interested to learn what you end up with as I'll probably replace
another mobo in a few months.

-Mike