[lug] Newbie tries to make laptop modem work

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Fri Nov 30 16:50:39 MST 2001

John,

Thanks for the response; it's good to know there is hope.  I tried
adding the alias line to /etc/modutils/aliases but it still seems to
have a problem.

glenn/$ sudo update-modules
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/lt_serial.o

And in /etc/modules.conf:
# For the LTmodem
alias char-major-62 lt_serial

I'm pretty sure I've installed the correct packages:
glenn/$ ll /vmlinuz
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Nov 26 12:33 /vmlinuz -> /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19
glenn/$ sudo dpkg -l | grep ltmodem
rc  ltmodem-2.2.18 6.00b6         Half open sourced driver for Lucent(r) Linmo
ii  ltmodem-2.2.19 6.00b6         Half open sourced driver for Lucent(r) Linmo

When the package installed it created the ff:
glenn/$ ll /dev/modem
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Nov 27 14:12 /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyLT0
glenn/$ ll /dev/ttyLT0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout   62,  64 Nov 27 14:12 /dev/ttyLT0

I'd appreciate it any more help.  Please send the attachments to
gmurray at mines.edu.

Thanks,
Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~gmurray/public_html/Welcome.html