[lug] Newbie tries to make laptop modem work

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 30 17:41:47 MST 2001

Glenn Murray wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for the response; it's good to know there is hope.  I tried
> adding the alias line to /etc/modutils/aliases but it still seems to
> have a problem.
>
> glenn/$ sudo update-modules
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/lt_serial.o

Your module does not match your kernel. If you want to get pickier, the
kernel is expecting symbols in the module that point at matching module
handlers, and either they don't exist, or they are at the wrong offset,
or they exist but are shaped differently (function signature must match
kernel's idea, and the kernel must look in the right location). Perhaps
the module was compiled against a kernel that has been configured
differently than the kernel that is running. Configuring a kernel alters
headers and configuration files, so having the same kernel version isn't
enough. Sometimes people compile using everything correctly, but don't
realize they're using two different compilers for the module and kernel,
which will also cause "bad things" to happen.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com