[lug] attbi troubles

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Dec 6 10:43:30 MST 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 07:51:46AM -0700, Ken Weinert wrote:
> Ok, my transition last night didn't go well - in fact, it didn't go at
> all.
>
> 1) You need to change/remove the old @home machine name

We didn't have to do that - perhaps we had a more enlightened network (in Lakewood, CO)

> 2) you *might* need to go to sas.r4.attbi.com to register your
> modem. I'm thinking that in the transition they somehow got some
> database info hosed in my case. There you'll need your account number
> and mac address (the registration code is the last 9 of your account
> #)

We didn't have to do any of that, either.

> 3) he said that (unlike @home) IPs will change every 24 hours. I'm
> presuming he means that IPs will have an enforced 24 hour lease.

Thanks, I'll be watching for that.  If that's true for us, then I'm _really_ glad we decided to order DirecTV DSL (static IP address, server-friendly, and supposedly bandwidth-competitive with AT&T's new lower download cap).

> 4) after doing the above, there should be some info at
> http://www.newuser.attbi.com, but that's only reachable from the attbi
> network (according the tech, Michael.)

We didn't bother with the software download - I gather it installs IE6 and Microsoft Outbreak on the client system, and we're just fine without _those_ methods of virus transmission.

> Hope your transition went easier than mine.

Ours did.

I'd already stopped dhcpcd on the affected interface. I just had to start it again, then rerun my firewall/masquerade script.

Of course, I ALSO had to change DNS information which associated the box with Mom's domains (shhh ... don't tell AT&T), as well as making some changes on the sendmail server which was functioning as a backup while the cable modem network was down.

But the basic connection took just the first two steps (stop/start dhcpcd,run firewall script).

Since Mom has her own email server and DNS server, the only other change we had to make was in the fetchmail script (to catch the stray bits of email that get sent to the @Home ... err ... attbi.com accounts) - specifically, we changed the mail server to "mail.attbi.com". The Windows clients required no configuration changes.

It _will_ be interesting to see it AT&T's email servers are more reliable than @Home's ...

> Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem

Amen!

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge