[lug] Lame server on?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Dec 6 12:09:55 MST 2001

Paul Bille wrote:

> > You could probably find it in crontab or anacron config and change it to
> something like:
> > /sbin/rmmod -as > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> All good suggestions.
>
> I found rmmod in /etec/cron.d/kmod.  Sending the output to /dev/null might
> do the trick.
>
> I don't recognize the syntax of the following argument 2>&1.  I presume the
> & runs the process in the background.  I'm not certain if the > is another
> redirection or if it signifies another prompt.

File descriptor 0 is standard input, descriptor 1 is standard output,
and descriptor 2 is standard error. 3 is the less known standard log, a
buffered version of 2.

The syntax redirects standard error in a bash shell to instead go into
standard output so that both streams act as one and can be captured more
easily. I was thinking it would use the reverse order, but maybe it
doesn't matter: &1<2. If you are not using bash, it will probably fail
(different syntax for csh, tcsh).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com