[lug] samba won't start

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Fri Dec 7 10:28:44 MST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, John Karns said:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Jason Davis said:
>
> > hi,
> > wont start anymore....when i enter samba start it goes therough saying it
> > started smbd and nmbd ok but then when i enter samba status it say
> > neither service is running...this is the
> > same smb.conf file i have always used...any suggestions?
>
> I had a smimilar problem with samba about a week ago, including the status
> return code saying OK at startup, but it was failing to start.  I deleted
> stale pid locks, etc, to no avail.  I never did figure out exactly what
> was causing the problem.  Although I hadn't made any changes to the init
> script (/etc/init.d/smb), I copied a script from another box running the
> same distro.  It then started working.

After a little more thought, I believe that the reason for the fix was
that I had upgraded (via a tar ball rather than the distro's rpm format)
from the distro's original install of samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.2 on the box with
the start failure problem.  The box I copied from was running a newer
version of the same distro which had installed samba 2.2.0.

So to summarize, I think there may be an incompatability in the startup
scripts for samba 2.0x and 2.2x releases.  If you've recently upgraded
samba, you may want to check that.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net