[lug] Cd burner recommendations

LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Mon Dec 10 09:38:20 MST 2001

I haven't tried this one with Linux, though through VMWare, it does recognize
the unit.  I have a Sony CRX160E that I would *not* recommend!!!  It seems that
unit is very sensitive to the CD it's reading.  Some CD's are LOUD when it's
reading from them, and others are so quiet you can't tell that the unit is
actually reading the CD.

It seems that it's very sensitive to the "balance" of the CD itself.  While
it's still working, I'm worried that it'll break down sooner than normal.
Since this is not my personal unit (it's a work machine; bought and paid for by
the company I'm working for), I'm not in a big rush to replace it.

I, myself, bought an ACER model for my personal machine.  While I haven't tried
it with Linux, it's a fairly nice unit.  I don't care for their burning
software (Windows only).  It leave a lot to be desired, especially after using
Adaptec's s/w (now Roxio EZCDCreator).  It's a 40/10/16 (40 read, 10 re-write,
16 write); and is very quiet all the time!

Viggy

Jeffrey Siegal wrote:

> I like the Yamaha drives in terms of functionality and performance, but
> I've had two out of three of them crap out on me (on different
> systems).  Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I think they have some
> reliability issues.
>
> I'd like to hear some opinions of non-Yamaha drives, since I'm ready to
> try something else on the new system I'm configuring now (a dual Athlon,

probably).

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK