[lug] attbi: misconfigured BROADCAST addr, etc?

Andrew R. Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Mon Dec 10 11:31:59 MST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:22:19AM -0700, quoth John Hernandez:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I don't know about this.  I found out the hard way that the way sendmail
> comes out of the box, it does not allow relaying from outside.  I think
> this started with the next to last major release.
>
> Dhruva

Installing as not an open relay is the right thing to do.  It's all part
of the good netizen bit.  There are lots of ways to allow for relaying for
the specific users you want, and not allow the world to do it.

For postfix (the MTA I know most about) there is information on
http://www.postfix.org detailing these.

--
Andrew Diederich