[lug] attbi - still get redirected to transition page

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Mon Dec 10 11:41:41 MST 2001

On 12-10 13:11, SamGAllen at cs.com wrote:

> I have verified that dhcp appears to be working.  I now have a new address
> for eth0 of 12.253.nn.nn with a mask of 255.255.252.0, which appears to be an
> AT&T address.  The routing table shows 12.253.96.0 for eth0 with the same
> mask.  We did have a hostname for @Home we had gotten from the installer,
> which I have since removed since ATT says they no longer use hostnames.  This
> is the only change I have made and I have rebooted the modem and the firewall
> a number of times.
>
> When I attempt to access or ping a port 80 address, I get redirected to
> attbi's transition page, but I can successfully ping other host addresses.
> Thus, I suspect there is something in my outbound message that ATT doesn't
> like.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for allowing me to ask what is probably a
> trivial question.
>
> Sam

Are you pinging by IP or by name? If you are pinging by IP, can you open,
say, 64.58.76.177 (www.yahoo.com) in a browser? If you are pinging by name,
can you open, say, https://www.etrade.com:443/ (different port number)? Can
you use other protocols like FTP (ftp.freebsd.org)?

Before I installed my own DNS server, I was getting sporadic DNS lookup
failures, and I would get the symptom you describe: their transition page
instead of the page I was going to. This could be all you are getting, but
you say you are pinging hosts - if you are doing it by name, then maybe it's
something else...

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome