[lug] attbi: slow is the norm

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Mon Dec 10 15:01:16 MST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 01:23:21PM -0700, Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:
> Slow is, in fact, the norm, with attbi:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100483,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp02

It seems to vary with the location.

Mom's system is in Lakewood on a /27 subnet.  Her download speeds range from 70 to 130 KBps.

My older brother's system is in Arvada on a /21 subnet.  Downloads from Microsoft and Netscape yesterday ran at 13 KBps, while some other stuff came in at 40 KBps.

It's interesting to me that - before the switch from @Home to attbi - they were both 24 subnets.

Based on this rather small sample size, I'd guess that AT&T has some routing/equipment problems (rather than a general download limit of 13 KBps).

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)