[lug] BLUG Planning for 2002 and beyond

Faster-Laster jason at fasterlaster.com
Tue Dec 11 13:15:13 MST 2001

Speaking from someone who want to move his family to Bolder (but
realistically won't happen any time soon) Here are a few points about
the lug I am active with here that have helped up.

1. Draw up a charter (yes it's a big PITA but it need not be reall
fancy). this was required for us to become a non-profit org in TN.

2. Nominations for officers should take place, say, two meetings. One
for initial nominations, nominations can be submitted on list after, or
last minute nominations can be submitted the day of elections.

3. Decide what makes a voting member (in our case filled out a cgi form
on the nlug web page, and have attended at least one prior meeting).

4. vote. well this one is obvious, but necessary :)

5. form a steering commettee, which can help decide and plan external
speakers (we have had Randall Schwartz speak and Mad Dog is here this
month) having several people that have some sort of charge helps this.
BTW the steering comm. members need not be elected, only people who wish
to help out. (we have a SC list for that type of traffic)

6. Winning officers buy everyone a round of drinks, (well ok I made this
on up)

Hopefully this might help out, it has worked well for us & allows us to
do things such as booths at Trade Shows. Good Luck.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 12:55:07PM -0700, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> So far, the replies to my posting about BLUG planning have been directed
> to me privately.  I've been redirecting them back here to the list since I
> think this is really a public topic.  This is after all supposed to be
> YOUR local organization.
| Microsoft does write "free" software.  Not free as in "free beer" or |
| "free speech", but "Free Tibet". -- Milan Svoboda in linux at linux.cz  |