[lug] BLUG Planning for 2002 and beyond

Faster-Laster jason at fasterlaster.com
Tue Dec 11 13:45:05 MST 2001

I should expand this thought.

I wasn't directly involved w/ the decision to go non-profit, but here is
what i gleemed from the post-decision discussion. Our group NLUG
(http://www.nlug.org for those who care). decided to try and get
non-profit status for a few reasons. Here they are w/ comments.

1. had to get state non-profit to get federal (we have only got state as
of yet).

2. It was thought that being a non-profit group would help with meeting
space & the possible donation of stuff that can be written off on taxes.
> this doesn't work. at least we haven't seen any good. most people who
> will give to a lug will give sans tax break. It sure hasn't helped our
> meeting location either, we were in a nice room at Vanderbilt Univ
> untill security got really goofy, now we meet in a Diesel College.

I'll ask our pres about anything he has noticed since attempting this.
It apparently really is a headache, which is why we only got as far as
state non-profit status.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:35:01PM -0700, J. Wayde Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Faster-Laster wrote:
>
> > 1. Draw up a charter (yes it's a big PITA but it need not be reall
> > fancy). this was required for us to become a non-profit org in TN.
>
> I agree with all of your points about organizing the group, but I do
> question the need to make this a registered non-profit organization.
> I've seen the non-profit issue crop up many times, and my question has
> always been why?  So far I've never really received much of an answer to
> that question.  To me this seems like an added level of complexity that we
> really don't need.  Sure it probably doesn't hurt, and maybe you could
> solicit tax free donations, but this is not anything we've ever really
> wanted or needed to do.
>
> Perhaps I'm wrong (Certainly wouldn't be the first time.)?  I'll concede
> if someone can really show me what being a registered non-profit gains the
> group.  Also, if we change or add to the group's mode of operation then
> there may be a a good reason for becoming a non-profit.  I'm not violently
> opposed to the suggestion, I just want to see some solid reasons why this
> is a good idea?
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

| Microsoft does write "free" software.  Not free as in "free beer" or |
| "free speech", but "Free Tibet". -- Milan Svoboda in linux at linux.cz  |