[lug] floppy drive

Dale Andersen lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Sun Dec 16 00:30:48 MST 2001

Silly question, but...  I've been fooling around with Linux for a year, now.
I'm not too well-versed in any OS, I've got Caldera 2.4 and Mandrake 8.0
installed right now, started with RH 6 in my quest for a dumb user friendly
version.  I can't get my floppy to work, both distros say fd0 doesn't exist.
I've checked several books, apparently you need to activate access somehow
first, the only book I could find about doing this said to use linuxconf,
apparently it's easy to get to on RH but I can't find it on either of my
distros.  I don't know if anybody is working on a basic, beginner-friendly
distribution but Linux's current strategy (or non-strategy) isn't doing much
to attract new users.  I don't think the answer is to make a GUI with so much
stuff it makes AOL look clean.  A very basic, MS style troubleshooting guide
would be great.  I'm trying to quit Windows because of poor basic design,
even though it's overlain with some useful features.  Linux's obviously
better design is obscured with it's sheer volume of features and
documentation.  Anyway, pardon my rant, feedback on my floppy drive question
would be tremendously welcome.   Dale Andersen