[lug] High Availability and Failover options

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Fri Jan 4 16:17:50 MST 2002

I've never seen a good way to handle shared session-level data in the OS.
It's almost always done at the application level. It will almost certainly
be a non-portable solution. And it would still require some cooperation at
the application level.

The real question to ask yourself is how important is it to maintain the
sessions during a failure? What we found was that system failure on our end,
and the resulting few lost sessions, were trivial compared to the day-to-day
failures people experience all the time on the net. Routes get munged, lines
go down, firewall rules are hosed, modems hang up, etc. All of these common
failures dwarfed the expected session failure rate due to hardware failure.
It's rarely worth it. With something like 6 front-end servers (Dell 2450s),
we had zero hardware failures in over a year.

With that said, it is usually not too difficult to store session information
in a common data store. What is difficult is, in a very active site, making
the common data store robust. It's usually a database. And you have to worry
about real-time database replication and failover. I have yet to see that
done in practice.