[lug] mail reports based on /var/log/maillog?

Peter Hutnick phutnick at peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 10 13:18:20 MST 2002

dan radom wrote:

> procmail is a MDA (mail delivery agent).  Outgoing mail has nothing to do with procmail.

 > most MTAs can be configured to use procmail as their MDA, or you can
 > configure fetchmail to pass mail directly to procmail...bypassing
your > MTA.

First, there doesn't seem to be a tradition on this list of trimming
posts.  I'll try to start one by example ;-)

On the subject of hooking fetchmail into your MDA, you probably don't
want to do this unless you have a specific reason to.  One of the
coolest things about fetchmail is that it injects mail via SMTP,
allowing all the normal MTA and MDA processing to occour.

-Peter