[lug] Installfest

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 10 23:08:19 MST 2002

In bringing up the topic of other events we could do in addition to
the monthly talks, I suggested that an installfest would be a good
thing to do soon, if it's done on the CU campus, since students are
more likely to be willing to make major changes early in the semester
rather than later.

Following the wise advice of Evelyn, I think the afternoon of
Saturday, February 9th would be a good time to have it. I'm willing to
organize, but I may (read: certainly will) need some help. Here's some
of the important things we'll need to consider:

Location. I have to return the key to the room we used tonight to the
law school (at which time I'll ask if we can use a room for our
monthly meetings) and will look around on campus for suitable
rooms. Good choices would be close to parking to minimize carrying
distance, have tables (preferably movable) and plenty of power sources.

Network. In order to get updates and kernels and access to the
fountain of Google, we'll need network access. Unfortunately, the
university would charge us a *lot* to use the network there, so my
thought is that we could use something wireless to use bandwidth from
off-campus. I've got a couple ideas, but they could be tricky.
This means hubs and plenty of cable.

Installers. That's us - people who know how to install and debug Linux.

CDs. It'd be great if we could provide an array of distribution
choices.

Dead trees. Aside from recommending books, it would help new users to
have a few pages describing useful commands, important parts of the
filesystem, basic concepts of linux, and most importantly, how to find
more specific information.

Power strips and cords, Keyboards, mice, a few extra network cards,
etc. to ease installation. (All of which should be labeled so they go
home with the right person) It might help people to not have to bring
*all* their computer equipment to have it installed.

Announcements. People could help announce the event by putting around
flyers and advertisements in the appropriate media.

I'm forgetting something obvious. What is it?

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility