[lug] Re: NFS and LDAP

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Fri Jan 11 10:14:03 MST 2002

by NFS and LDAP I mean that NFS is what we use to share files around the
network.  Each file is owned by a user and can only be accessed by a
user having the correct uid.  NIS takes care of the uid on the network
even though there is no local account with a particular uid.  I'm
assuming that ldap takes care of login requests for which there is no
local account.  How then do I access files that are nfs mounted?

I'm completely ignorant of how ldap works.  I do know that we use nis
and nfs here and that nis is insecure.  So can I replace nis with ldap
and have everything still work the same from a user's perspective.

Hugh