[lug] Trying to get a second hard drive up

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Fri Jan 11 13:27:27 MST 2002

Hello,

I have put in my computer a second hard drive, taken from another system.

In its previous life, it was a primary (first) drive, with KRUD 7.0 on
it. The file /etc/lilo.conf was written for /dev/hda, with root as
dev/hda6. (The boot partition was /dev/hda1, with / and its child
directories on /dev/hda6).

Now it is configured as the slave drive on the first IDE controller, and
the system sees it during boot up as the second drive.

In the computer where the drive now lives, I have FreeBSD on the first
drive. When the system boots, I can use the FreeBSD boot loader to tell
it to run the OS (KRUD 7.0) on the second drive.  If I select the second
drive to boot, LILO begins to load, and then fails with LI-.

I was able to use the KRUD disk #1 and boot into the "linux rescue"
mode, and then mount to the / partition on the second drive as /dev/hdb6.

I modified /etc/lilo.conf to use

    boot=/dev/hdb

and

    image=/vmlinuz
        label=redhat
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdb6

and was able to write these changes to /etc/lilo.conf.

But when I tried to run /sbin/lilo -v, I got an error message "cannot
open /dev/hdb".

How can I overcome this and write the new configuration to the boot
record on the second drive so that LILO will see it and boot?

BOF