[lug] Microsoft now "owns" OpenGL

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu Jan 17 07:52:13 MST 2002

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> "qqq1one @yahoo.com" wrote:
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/23708.html
> >
> > Not sure if the quotes on "owns" are appropriate or not.
>
> They didn't actually say the OpenGL name was purchased, it said core
> tech was. I suspect that would encompass a lot that OpenGL depends on.
> OpenGL is in an open steering committee, it might take time for MS to
> dispose of OpenGL, I certainly hope they don't take that road. Or
> especially "customize" it, break it, and make it work right only on
> windows.

They can do no worse in extending it than most of the card vendors
have.  Have you seen any of the hardware specific extension docs?
We're talking 500 pages of stuff.  I'd like to think that MS can't
take over too much.  On the other hand, perhaps it's time to pull
out the ActiveX again.

> > I also wonder how much longer http://nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux and
> > ftp://ftp.nvidia.com/pub/drivers/english/XFree86_40 will continue to be available.

Well, they are not currently available.

Scott