[lug] There must be a better way

phutnick at pop.peakpeak.com phutnick at pop.peakpeak.com
Tue Jan 22 10:36:12 MST 2002

> Each company, it seems, has their own idea
> and way of creating a Linux box and all of
> them seem to modify endless files to reflect
> their view/logos and wishes regardless of
> what the end user really wants.
>
> RPM's from SuSE that wont work on Red Hat
> for example because of diff file mods to
> the standard tar source files.
>
> There must be a better way than this!

You know, no one cares if you don't use the package system of your distro ;-)

When I set up a "secure, purpose built server" I do it by doing a VERY basic
install of RH.  Replace the compiler by the latest version from source, replace
the kernel with a custom build for the system, then add the server software I
need (Apache, Bind, Sendmail, Samba, whatever) also from source.

I don't do this very freqently, so it isn't worth my while to duplicate the
system (IOW, by the time I need to do the next one all the software is out of
date) but if it were I'd probably do it with an ISO and Tom's Root Boot.

-Peter

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK