[lug] February 14th talk?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jan 23 09:18:39 MST 2002

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:01:59AM -0700, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> >A particularly good speaker for this would be someone who's at least
> >familiar with the usages and nitty-gritty differences between the
> >tools, and it'd be great if it could cover a range of things - .deb,
>
> It might be hard to find that.  An option would be to have a panel similar
> to the database one we did a while back.  I'd be willing to talk about
> RPMs.

If rpm by itself is not enough, I'd be interested also in experiences in
packaging of a distribution based on another...basically the things that
have to be done to create KRUD would make for a nice addition to rpm
packaging if there isn't enough material for just rpm. But I would find
it extremely beneficial for detailed information and examples of working
with both rpm and debian packages. I can imagine a non-developer saying
"boring", but I personally struggle with packaging issues while trying
to write free software. To me, tar is my friend, it's so *simple*. Yet,
distributing to non-developer types, they get frustrated with tar. A
suggestion of extra topic material, if nobody can do detailed
information on packaging for debian or other means, might be a tool
survey for packages, or even information on installing required tools to
work as a packager of different distributions from inside of one alien
distributions (by this I mean, e.g., packaging .deb's from RH, or
packaging SuSE or Mandrake .rpm's from RH...how to install the tools and
what is done differently when "cross-packaging").

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com